- 1 pound lean beef stew meat, cubed in about 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour for coating the beef
- 1 cup red wine, (optional non-alcoholic wine or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of thyme, remove leaves from 4 sprigs
- 2 cups beef broth, fat-free and low-sodium
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Coat the beef with the flour then shake off the excess then sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the floured beef then pour in the wine.
- Cook until sauce is slightly thickened and alcohol aroma is gone, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the beef and its sauce to the crock pot.
- In the crock pot, add onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, red peppers, leaves from 4 thyme sprigs, bay leaves, broth, tomatoes, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 – 6 hours.
- Garnish with remaining two thyme sprigs.
Crock Pot Low-Fat Beef Stew
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 264 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 42 mg | Sodium: 214 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints: 7 |